Go to contents

Any tips for learning Korean on your own?

All Themes > General Talk

replies 29 | views 1,618
G
G 511 (Rookie)
last activity 2014.01.02 11:21 post 785 thumbs up 59

2013.09.30 12:28

Have you ever tried learning Korean on your own? If you have what worked for you and what didn't? Did you use textbooks, an online service, etc.? If you're learning Korean in school, what did your teacher use to help you guys?

I'm planning on learning Korean on my own and I was just looking for some resources or helpful tips from anyone who has tried it! :D

reply (29) | | bookmark | more
timaDae
timaDae 921 (Rookie)
last activity 2014.11.03 06:54 post 928 thumbs up 166

2013.10.06 20:21

I DID

I watched videos on youtube...the girl explained it well..and I learned few things from her :)

reply (0) | | bookmark | more
Unnie
Unnie 151 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.10.06 19:15 post 151 thumbs up 108

2013.10.06 19:12

Learning Korean

Hey Geraldine,

I think it's great that you decided to start learning Korean on your own. I am a self learner too. Even though so far more of a beginner. Basically there were no Korean language classes in my area where I live, so that's why I decided to start self-learning.

Well here are some tips that I can give you and have worked for me so far:

1. First of all, don't immediately buy all those fancy big textbooks and grammar stuff....Honestly, everything you need is already on the internet and for FREE. (I will put the links of useful websites that I use down bellow)

2. Get a plain A4 notebook, just for Korean, where you will take notes. I recommend using different colors, for different things. For example: use a blue pen for korean word, black pen for translation, red pen for an example of usage in a sentence etc...Try to keep a sytem. It's very helpful when studying.

3. The FIRST thing TO LEARN is deffinetely HANGUL (korean writting, alphabet). Yes I know that you usually have romanization in textbooks and stuff, but honestly, the sooner you learn it, the better. It's super easy because korean alphabet has only 24 or 25 letters. (unlike japanese or chinese - 5000+ characters O.o) You can learn it in about 4 hours if you do it all together. It just makes things easier for later studying.

4. There WILL be times when you will fill lazy and be discouraged, but don't let that stop you from learning. So let's say you haven't learned anything in the past 2-3 weeks. Well it happens to me too. But don't feel bad about it. Just keep going!

And now here are some awesome websites that I reccomend:

http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/ (Here I learn 90% of stuff, you have different levels from 1-9 and lessons within them. The explanation is very simple, easy to follow. You can download worksheets for each lesson and even the whole texbook for each audio lesson you take for FREE)

http://www.koreanclass101.com/ (I personally perfer talktomeinkorean, but I heard a lot of people like this website as well. You create a free account and then you can either choose to pay for a lesson course, but there are also some that are completely free)

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9aWBNR-mDNzgRsO3XLJ7uw (This girl talks about korean culture, most common korean word, some vocabulary and gramar lessons including how to write/read korean. She is simply awesome because she teaches in a very easy to remember way. Deffinetely check her out)

http://www.hangukdrama.com/

http://mykoreannotebook.wordpress.com/

(These are blogs of 2 girls that also self learn korean. They basically uptade their korean learning journey and they both have a ton of usefull links and reccomendations for learning.)

I hope that some of this will be helpful to you.

Hwaiting! ^-^

Hugo  Diego Marcel  clicked thumbs up on this!
ariadnanana
ariadnanana 577 (Rookie)
last activity 2014.03.22 15:40 post 577 thumbs up 4

2013.10.06 14:00

Well

I just googled "korean lessons online" or something like that. But the first thing I found wasn't very good... it had many mistakes. But I kept looking until I found a good one. And there's this tumblr ->http://learning-hangeul.tumblr.com/, it has many words. I found this little notebook at home and I use it to write down the words and everything I learn. For me watching movies or shows with subs or whatever hasn't really worked out 

Izyannarina
Izyannarina 34 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.10.13 10:07 post 34 thumbs up 4

2013.10.06 13:47

Recommended

just watch dramas or movies with subtitles. Watch variety of dramas and movies and focus on their language. I have learnt korean language for 3 years now and it was just from watching dramas,movies and music show !

요혜
요혜 116 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.10.21 21:39 post 87 thumbs up 20

2013.10.06 12:18

I recommend

There's this really useful website called TalkToMeInKorean.com ^^

It guides you with both audio and pdf files so you can learn more effectively !

Anw I guess others had explain this below so ya do try this out I think you'll like it (;

And all the best in learning korean! Hwaiting 화이팅 !

dizzy
dizzy 50 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.10.06 16:46 post 53 thumbs up 1

2013.10.06 12:11

~

A great way to learn is to listen to native speakers. This way your pronunciation will sound more natural :)

Mira_Mii
Mira_Mii 183 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.10.18 06:08 post 183 thumbs up 0

2013.10.06 09:38

For me

i listen to korean music and i watch movie. i also bought a book called " Korean for Dummies " and that's helped me a lot

Effdi
Effdi 1,475 (Rookie)
last activity 2014.03.24 07:51 post 1,486 thumbs up 237

2013.10.06 08:57

re

i watched drama with english subtitle and also listening to korean song with endlish lyrics. so i can learn from it.

Snowie
Snowie 41 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.10.06 05:32 post 10 thumbs up 8

2013.10.06 05:15

I use a website.

it's called TalkToMeInKorean.com. You get audio lessons and .pdf task files for free, so you can practice on your own. The lessons are levelled, so you start with the basic of the basic and then build your way up. You can download their broadcasts, so you can listen to it on road trips or such, and they teach in a funny way, which makes the lessons stick easier. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

livelovekpop
livelovekpop 1,304 (Rookie)
last activity 2014.07.17 10:58 post 1,319 thumbs up 5

2013.10.04 10:11

make sure

you practive every day! and try to talk as much as possible

watch dramas too

You can post new thread after log-in

This week's popular threads

Recent replies