Go to contents

Why Do Ppl Always think Kpop is Gay?

All Themes > K-POP

replies 5 | views 4,051
pipguy2k
pipguy2k 44 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.12.20 09:50 post 46 thumbs up 21

2013.11.05 19:30

I feel like a lot of people think that K-pop idols especially guys are gay..... I get that they look prettier than Western stars but then I still think it's a little weird. Do you guys get crap for liking Kpop??

reply (5) | | bookmark | more
Farah Habib
Farah Habib 123 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.11.07 19:07 post 126 thumbs up 11

2013.11.07 18:59

People from my country thinks so as well! It's cause the concept of manliness varies from place to place! And here, in no way is a guy supposed to wear any sort of makeup -____-

reply (0) | | bookmark | more
bananana
bananana 2,094 (Rookie)
last activity 2015.09.01 16:44 post 2,139 thumbs up 2,143

2013.11.06 11:39

Yeah

Oh, the part about people thinking kpop is gay was in reply to what you said: "people think that K-pop idols especially guys are gay." I wasn't talking about you as if that was your thought. To clarify,  I don't care about the "manliness" of Kpop boy groups. That's not why I like kpop so I don't care whether the characteristics they have are more associated with males or females. I like the charm of the music and performances that Kpop offers so I'm a fan. I also like the personalities of the idols in the groups. There are a lot of funny and adorable people. I also think make-up for guys should be more widely accepted. I don't get what's so wrong with that and why people can't dress a certain way or like certain things because of their sex.

reply (0) | | bookmark | more
bananana
bananana 2,094 (Rookie)
last activity 2015.09.01 16:44 post 2,139 thumbs up 2,143

2013.11.06 09:23

I don't think they do, but

Well, a lot of people that don't know about k-pop also aren't aware of the culture in Korea and really in Asia. In the US, it isn't normal to have guys openly physically interacting with one another. However, in Korea and in some other Asian countries, hugging, holding hands, etc. is normal for guys. Fanservice is probably a new thing for them too so when they see it, they probably think that the guys are feeling each other not for fans but because they want to display their affection for each other. 

I totally get that these people are definitely making snap judgments and to label acts of "skinship" between guys as gay is wrong. It'd be nice to see people more open to learning about what's normal and okay in other cultures instead of centering all their thoughts and judgments on their own cultural beliefs.

I knew some people that thought guys wearing make-up in K-pop made them gay. The issue with make-up is a bit different from the above. Western stars do wear make-up whether they are guys are girls. It's just that in k-pop, guys also wear a lot of eye make-up that's clearly visible.

If you're getting crap for liking k-pop, maybe you can try to show whoever is judging you why you  like it. When I first started listening, I was pretty narrow-minded about a lot of things. It took me a while to actually  really start seeing what's great about k-pop. The same could happen to a lot of the other people you know. 

Another issue I see is people labelling what they don't find masculine enough as gay. This is so insulting, and I could go on more about this, but I guess I would be going off on a tangent from the direction of where your thread is heading.

reply (2) | | bookmark | more
pipguy2k
pipguy2k 44 (Trainee)
last activity 2013.12.20 09:50 post 46 thumbs up 21

2013.11.06 11:27

well , Actually I personally don't have any preconception about gays...and I am a KPOP lover, too.

well , Actually I personally don't have any preconception about gays... 

And the "gay"  I mentioned wasn't really about the 'homosexual men', but more about the.... uhm... you know...the feeling those pretty men giving me is still kinda.... 

I think those KPOP Boy group does have their own charm, but it seems in western country that's not easily accepted. And I too wish KPOP Boy group be more manly (some times I really hate their eye make-up!!!!), and be accpted more widely. 

Tiffany Mason  clicked thumbs up on this!
| bookmark | more
Linda Susanti
Linda Susanti 353 (Rookie)
last activity 2014.08.29 15:20 post 356 thumbs up 38

2013.11.06 11:34

i agree with you

sometimes i also get so iritated when other people (who didn't really know about k-pop) mock k-pop artist, especially for the male artist, about their eye make-up.

I mean, they used the make-up because they need to perform, and even if they also used those make-up in their daily life, it's totally their right (isn't it?)

I just hope that people don't judge someone that they didn't really know.

If they don't like k-pop artist, then just don't see any k-pop,,but please dont insult them.

It's just unfair for the artist.

pipguy2k  bananana  clicked thumbs up on this!
| bookmark | more
You can post new thread after log-in

This week's popular threads

Recent replies

• Another K-Pop Game: Name an id...

^^

2016.11.16 20:35
  • Big Bang vs Shinhwa

BIGBANG ^^

2016.11.16 20:07
  • Who is your favorite member in...

V!! V!! V!! V!!